Bihar Public Service Commission (BPSC) Exam 2021: BPSC is a State Level Civil Services Exam which is conducted for recruitment of multiple posts in state government cadre. Official Notification will be released soon for the Public Service Commission Exam. In this article we have provided you the insight of the BPSC Syllabus and Exam pattern in detail. Prelims and Mains Syllabus is set by the Bihar Public Service Commission.
BPSC Exam 2021 Syllabus
Aspirants can check the stages below.
- Prelims: One objective type paper for 150 marks.
- Mains: Four descriptive papers
- Interview: 120 marks
|Stage of BPSC Exam
||Type of Exam
||900 ( 3 Papers of 300 marks each)
||3 Hours for each Paper
Aspirants have to clear each stage in order to be eligible for the next stage, if candidates clear the prelims, they can give the mains after which they would be called for the final stage i.e., interview of the BPSC Exam.
BPSC Syllabus: BPSC Prelims Exam Pattern
The Prelims Exam is qualifying in nature, Candidates who have prepared for the Exam thoroughly can clear it easily. Candidates who qualify the Prelims exam are called for BPSC Mains. Prelims marks will not be taken into consideration for the final merit list.
|BPSC Prelims Exam Pattern
|Name of Exam
||Combined Competitive Exam
||Bihar Public Service Commission ( BPSC )
|No of Papers
||1 – General Studies (150 marks)
- General Science
- Events of national and international importance
- History of Bihar and Indian History
- Geography(mainly Geography of Bihar)
- Indian Polity and Economy
- Changes in the economy of Bihar post-independence
- Indian National Movement and the Role of Bihar
- General Mental Ability.
- Prelims is just to qualify for mains exam.
- There is no negative marking in BPSC Prelims exam.
- Candidates need to score minimum marks as decided by the commission for mains exam.
- All the questions are set in English and Hindi except for those questions designed to test candidate’s knowledge of English.
BPSC Syllabus: BPSC Prelims Syllabus
BPSC Syllabus covers General Science, Polity, Economy, History and the National Movement. Here is a detailed syllabus of the BPSC Prelims Exam:
- General Science The questions on Science and Tech will be such that they do not require subject specialization. Questions are asked from include, Physics, Chemistry and Biology
- Current Affairs of National/International importance
- History of India and Bihar
- Geography of India and Bihar
- General geography and geographical division of Bihar and its major river systems
- Indian polity Country’s political system, Panchayati raj, community development and planning in India and Bihar
- Indian economy and economy of Bihar post independence
- Indian Movements and Contribution of Bihar in it
- Under Indian Economy and Polity, the questions will cover the following topics:
- Indian Political System
- Panchayati Raj
- Community Development
- Planning in India and Bihar
- Under Indian National Movement, aspirants have to focus on the resurgence in the 19th century, growth of nationalism in India and Indian independence. Also, the role of Bihar in the Indian National Movement is important from the BPSC exam point of view
- Questions based on General Mental Ability
BPSC 2021 Mains Exam Pattern
The aspirants are called for the BPSC main exam only if they clear the minimum cutoff in the BPSC Prelims Exam as decided by the Commission. The BPSC Main Exam have a qualifying paper General Hindi. Others Papers, will be General Studies Paper 1 and General Studies Paper 2 carrying 300 marks each. There will be an Optional Paper that the candidate has chosen earlier while filling the Application Form. The Optional Paper carries 300 marks. The list of the 34 Optional Subjects is mentioned below.
|Stage of Exam
||Name of Paper
|Main Exam (Subjective)
||General Hindi (Qualifying)
|General Studies Paper 1
|General Studies Paper 2
Important Points for the candidates.
- Candidates have to qualify the General Hindi Paper in order to get their General Awareness sheet checked by the commission.
- Questions would be asked in both Hindi and English language.
- Total score of 900 marks in GS Paper 1, GS Paper 2 and Optional Paper.
- The candidates who are comes in merit are called for the interview.
- There is no negative marking in the descriptive question papers.
- Candidates have to attempt all the papers to qualify for the Interview.
BPSC Syllabus 2021: BPSC Mains Syllabus
Qualifying Paper: General Hindi
BPSC paper of General Hindi will be qualifying in nature. This paper is for 100 marks and subjective in nature; below is the distribution of the marks.
- Essay: 30 Marks
- Grammar: 30 Marks
- Syntax: 25 Marks
- Summarization: 15 Marks
Out of the 100 marks, candidates are required to secure the qualifying marks in the paper. For this qualifying paper, a good book of school standard is enough.
General Studies Papers
Till now all papers were of qualifying nature. Now important papers are General Studies Papers and the Optional Paper. There are two Papers for the General Studies and one for the Optional. Each Paper carries 300 marks making the total marks from all these papers to be 900.
|General Studies 1
||General Studies 2
- Indian Culture
- Modern History of India
- Contemporary events of national and international importance
- Statistical Analysis, diagrams and graphs
- Indian (and Bihar) Polity
- Indian (and Bihar) Economy
- Indian (and Bihar) Geography
- Role and impact of Science and Technology in the development of India (and Bihar)
Below is the detailed syllabus for the GS Papers and the Optional Paper:
General Paper 1 Syllabus
- Modern History of India and Indian culture (History of the country with special reference to Bihar in the middle of nineteenth century, the introduction and expansion of western and technical education, Bihar’s role in the Indian freedom struggle, the Santhal Uprising in Bihar, Birsa movement, Champaran Satyagrah, the Quit India Movement, chief features of Mauryan and Pal art, Patna Qulam painting, Roles of Gandhi, Tagore and Nehru)
- Current events of national and international importance
- Role of Bihar in the Indian National Movement
- Santhal uprising
- 1857 war of independence
- Champaran Satyagraha
- Quit India Movement 1942
- Mauryan and Pal Art
- Patna Kalam Paintings
- Statistical analysis, graphs and diagrams ( Questions to test the ability to draw conclusions from statistical, graphical or diagrammatical information and to point out deficiencies, limitations or inconsistencies)
General Paper 2 Syllabus
- Indian Polity ( Questions based on the political system in India including Bihar)
- Indian economy and Geography of India (Questions on planning in India and the physical, economic and social geography of India and Bihar)
- The role and impact of science and technology in the development of India (Questions to test awareness of the role and impact of science and technology in India and Bihar with special reference to applied science.
Candidates have to select one optional subject out of 34 subjects in mains. There will be only one optional subject exam for 300 marks and the questions will be of Honors Level The choices are given below and the syllabus for optional subjects can be viewed in the BPSC Syllabus PDF.
Optional Syllabus for BPSC
- English Language and Literature
- Urdu Language and Literature
- Hindi Language and Literature
- Persian Language and Literature
- Arabic Language and Literature
- Pali Language and Literature
- Maithili Language and Literature
- Bangla Language and Literature
- Sanskrit Language and Literature
- Political Science and International Relations
- Public Administration
- Labour and Social Welfare
- Mechanical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Commerce and Accountancy
- Electrical Engineering
- Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science
BPSC Interview Test
Candidates who had qualified the BPSC Mains Exam would be called for the ‘Interview’ Round. Candidate would be assessed on the following basis.
- The candidate will be interviewed by a board on the basis of record of the candidate career and interests filled by the candidate in the Application Form.
- The objective of the interview is to check the candidates personality whether it is suitable for the career in the state services by a board of competent and unbiased observers.
- Candidates mental qualities and analytical ability would be checked.
UPPSC 2021 Calendar Released: Check Exam Date, Schedule Here!
List of Training institutions of Indian Armed Forces: Check Here
MPPSC Engineering Service Exam Notification 2021 Released: Apply Online Here